What Engine Oil Do I Use for My Car? Let’s Find Out From Expert Mechanics
Most car owners in the UK are aware of the car oil change that generally happens during routine service. However, they might not be updated with the nitty-gritty of car oil.
Numerous misconceptions about types of oil and the timing of an oil change service have been around for a while now. It is better to comprehend about real facts while getting a proper value of money spent.
Besides, the lifespan of engine oil is affected by a number of variables. Even high quality engine oil might need a premature replacement if it is used by a vehicle with an aged engine. Even the adverse weather conditions of a region like the UK could affect your engine oil.
Even if you drive in hot weather conditions, it surely affects the quality of your engine oil. In this regard, there might be some questions that might arise in your mind. You can find proper explanations about engine oil here.
How Often Do I Change The Oil In My Car?
There are numerous brands of cars with different engines available in the automotive industry. This information leads us to believe that an engine may have particular needs for engine oil.
In addition, the quality of the engine oil being used is also influenced by the driving conditions. An engine experiences significant stress in densely populated areas because of traffic, stop-and-go, potholes, etc.
The majority of engine oil experts concur that the ideal interval for changing your car’s oil is between 7,500 and 10,000 kilometres.
If you don’t drive much, there is also the option of getting an oil change, which calls for you to look for engine oil for my car once every 12 months.
Additionally, it depends on the driving habits of the individual. Many people enjoy accelerating occasionally, even when they are not required to.
What’s the Best Engine Oil for My Car?
However, the majority of us do not believe that learning about engine oil is necessary. However, if something costs you money at least once a year, you need to keep yourself informed.
The degree of viscosity, which determines the thickness of engine oil, is used to categorise engine oils. You usually find a pair of numbers, such as 0W-40 and 15W-40, on the bottle of engine oil.
This number highlights the viscosity and the thickness of oil. If you take 10W-30 and analyze it, the number 10W signifies the viscosity of engine oil at extremely cold temperatures, and the number 30 is the thickness of engine oil at a hundred degrees Celsius.
It means that if you opt for 0W-40, there would be no problem in starting a car in extreme cold while 15W-40 is best in the high temperature conditions.
In general, the engine oil flows through the motor more readily the lower the Low Winter (W) viscosity.
Besides, engine oil is classified into three categories. They differ in the capability of lubrication while providing protection to the engine’s components.
- Synthetic oil – It offers a high level of lubrication to vehicles that are put under high levels of stress due to environmental conditions. If you drive a vehicle in dense traffic regularly and it also travels substantially, synthetic oil is a good choice for lubrication to keep wear and tear away. However, fully synthetic oil stays in good condition for even 10,000 KM.
- Semi-Synthetic Oil – As the name suggests, it possesses less capability of lubrication as compared to fully synthetic oil. However, it is best for vehicles that do travel an average distance in a year. However, it costs less in comparison to a fully synthetic one.
You can opt for the semi-synthetic oil if you use your vehicle less often, for example, to travel to and from work.
- Mineral Oil – It is the best lubricant for a vehicle that does very little travelling in a year. However, it proves to be very cost-effective in terms of price. The mineral oil lacks lubrication capability as compared to the synthetic engine oil.
These are the basics of the engine oil; you can choose one based on the requirements. However, it is worth assessing the situation if you are looking for a car oil change near me. However, you can also get the help of a professional at Service My Car.
How Do I Change The Oil In My Car?
Once you are sure about the type of engine oil. Now you would try to change the engine oil. However, there are certain steps to follow to properly complete the process.
First locate the engine oil tube under the hood. And, you have to open the bonnet.
1. Next, open the filler cap and remove the dipstick.
2. Now, you have to empty the oil pan before filling it again.
3. It requires losing the oil drain plug and waiting for some time until the old oil drains completely.
4. Once all the oil is drained, place the drain plug back in with a proper seal.
5. Now you can easily fill the fresh engine oil through the engine oil tube.
Car oil change is not a complicated task, but it is better to opt for professional service because you cannot drain the oil pan properly as it requires precise cleaning too.
Enlist the services of the professionals at Service My Car to get the best car service Bolton has to offer. Whether you’re in for a basic oil change in Manchester, or you need more intensive engine repair in Bolton, Service My Car does it all.
Service My Car assists with your quality car maintenance if you have any concerns. If you ever find yourself searching for ‘the best oil for my car’, don’t hesitate to download the Service My Car app and start your car maintenance journey today.