With the new Motor Vehicle Act of 1989, getting a Vehicle Fitness certificate has become one of the most important steps if you’re looking to buy a new or used vehicle (both commercial and private). Below you will find every information regarding the Vehicle Fitness Certificate and how to apply for it as well.
You should know that the registration of a transport vehicle is only considered valid if the vehicle has a Fitness Certificate (FC). A Fitness Certificate is only issued for 2 years and has to be renewed every 2 years till the vehicle is 8 years old. After 8 years, the vehicle needs to renew after every year right after paying the taxes.
Every vehicle must have a current vehicle fitness certificate (FC) to prove that it is roadworthy, as per the central state’s Motor Vehicles Act of 1989. When the government provides an FC, both private and commercial vehicle registration becomes more simple.
Therefore, it is advisable to have a comprehensive understanding of the procedure to apply for an FC and other regulations if you want to purchase a commercial vehicle like Tata Signa 4225 or a private one soon.
Continue reading if you still have questions about why getting an FC is important.
The Significance of A Vehicle’s Fitness Certificate
Here are all the factors that make a vehicle fitness certificate necessary, other than attempting to prevent fines and car seizures:
- Monitoring the quantity of smoke a vehicle emits is vital to combat pollution, which is becoming a serious problem with every passing day. Checking and monitoring pollution caused by motor vehicle emissions is one of the main goals of a fitness certificate for cars.
- A fitness certificate requires that your car is in top condition.
- Lastly, to prevent traffic accidents that could occur as a result of the poor state of your car.
Since the need for a vehicle fitness certificate is evident for both private and business use, let’s take a look.
How Do I Apply for a Vehicle Fitness Certificate?
As previously said, vehicle owners may get assistance from both offline and online operations.
Offline Process for Vehicle Fitness Certificate
An instruction manual for applying offline is provided below.
Step 1: Get forms 20 and 38 for transport vehicles from your zonal RTO office.
Step 2: Complete these papers and hand them in together with the required paperwork at the counter.
Step 3: Submit the necessary payments and bring your car in for inspection.
Online Process for Vehicle Fitness Certificate
Here’s what you have to do to finish the procedure from the convenience of your home:
Step 1: Visit the official Parivahan Sewa website and input the registration number of your car.
Step 2: Click “Application for Fitness Certificate” in the navigation bar’s “Online Services” section.
Step 3: Next, enter both your registered mobile number and Chassis number. You’ll then receive a one-time password.
Step 4: Next, input the OTP and any other pertinent data, such as insurance information or application fee details.
Step 5: Proceed with the payment in the following step, then get the application letter and the digital receipt.
You must provide these documents to the Regional Transport Office (RTO) after submitting your online application for a vehicle fitness certificate in order to receive your FC.
Be aware that you must first be eligible for a car FC in order to properly complete these steps. Typically, if a person’s automobile or bike passes all necessary fitness tests, they can obtain a fitness certificate. Ensure that you get in touch with your RTO to learn more about the conditions you may need to satisfy before even applying for this in order to learn about the necessary documentation.
Documents Necessary to Apply for a Vehicle FC
When requesting a vehicle fitness certificate online, keep the necessary paperwork close at hand:
- Forms 20 and 22 and 21
- Road tax receipts Insurance certificates
- Original car registration document valid pollution under control certification
- A drawing of the car’s chassis in pencil
- If any temporary registration
- Proof of address
- Permit certificate Acceptable ID proof
- Photos the size of a passport
In addition to this, you must also submit a copy of your application and the fee receipt. Know the costs associated with getting a car FC or any other type of commercial vehicle now that you are informed of the fundamental criteria.
Application Requirements, Validity, Processing Time, and Vehicle Fitness Certificate Renewal
A registered owner of a motor vehicle may apply for a vehicle fitness certificate, which has similar terms and conditions and eligibility requirements as a driving licence.
- Vehicles used for Non-Transport Class are renewable for 5 years from the approval date following the day the registration certificate expires or 5 years from the expiration date if the same has been filed earlier than the expiry date.
- When it comes to motor vehicles used in a transport group, the renewal of the vehicle fitness certificate refers to the renewal of the registration certificate. Its validity is set at 1 year from the approval date or 1 year from the expiration date if submitted in a timely manner (within 15 days of the expiration date).
You should be aware that the 3 business day processing time restriction applies to the renewal of registration certificates with vehicle fitness certificates.