The government officer who certifies the holder’s identity and citizenship in India issues passports. The possessor is permitted to travel to and from other countries under this.
Each nation issues a passport to its citizens in accordance with its laws, with some issuing biometric passports with integrated microchips. In the past, non-biometric passports were utilised; these passports have a set expiration date.
Also, Read- Passport Seva Kendra online portal
A passport in India is categorised in different categories.They are as
For travel, the government provides this passport to its employees who work in the public sector. Additionally known as a service passport.
Passports issued by diplomats don’t come with any extra benefits. This is given to the nation’s diplomats so they can visit other nations on business. There may be designated checkpoints in some airports for people with diplomatic passports.
This is the ordinary passport issued for individual citizens .
This is a temporary passport given to the owner in case the original passport was stolen or misplaced for some other cause. The validity of the passport is just temporary.
This passport is issued for a group of people to travel together.
The entire family is granted use of this passport. One passport holder will be able to travel either independently or with the family; however, the family member cannot travel independently without the passport holder.
Who is eligible for the Passport in India
A valid passport or other forms of identification is required for all Indian citizens traveling abroad or preparing to do so. The Passports Act of 1967 grants the Indian government the power to issue a variety of passports and travel documents. Passport applications must be submitted through VFS Indian Consular Application Centers by applicants in the United States.
Things one should know about Passport
- Your Indian passport serves as identifying proof while abroad. It’s essential to have it reissued before the expiration date as a result. The passport can be renewed up to a year before it expires.
- Your Indian passport is a priceless document. It must always be in your possession or in the presence of a person who has your express permission. If something is lost or destroyed, the situation should be immediately reported to the closest Mission and the local police force.
- We advise keeping a photocopy of your Indian passport in a secure location apart from the original. The photocopy must include the pages containing personal information, the date and location of passport issuance, the expiration date, the passport’s validity, the stamps indicating entry into the United States, entry from India, and any visas issued by US or foreign authorities.
- Every young person needs their own passport. It is no longer common practise to add a child’s name to either parent’s passport.
- When acquiring US or other nationality, the Indian passport must be delivered at the closest VFS Indian Consular Application Center for cancellation, per Consular Jurisdiction. After cancellation, the holder receives a refund. It is against the law and unlawful to enter India on an Indian passport after acquiring a foreign nationality.
Suggested Read- Apply for Fresh Passport/ Reissue of Passport
In 2021, if you apply for a new Indian passport or have your old one reissued, you’ll virtually surely get an electronic passport. This is because an e-passport will speed up passenger entry into the country and assist the authorities in reducing forgeries. Sources claim that e-passports will adhere to International Civil Aviation Organization specifications (ICAO).